The definition of symbolic is serving as a representation or is something that has a greater meaning because of what it represents.adjective
- Smiling is an example of a symbolic gesture of welcome.
- Writing a letter to someone you have been fueding with for years is an example of a symbolic gesture that can signify forgiveness.
- of or expressed in a symbol or symbols
- that serves as a symbol (of something)
- characterized by symbolism
Origin: LL symbolicus < Gr symbolikos
- symbolically adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, relating to, or expressed by means of symbols or a symbol.
- Serving as a symbol.
- Using symbolism: symbolic art.
- sym·bolˈi·cal·ly adverb
- sym·bolˈi·cal·ness noun