- The definition of symbolic is serving as a representation or is something that has a greater meaning because of what it represents.
- Smiling is an example of a symbolic gesture of welcome.
- Writing a letter to someone you have been fueding with for years is an example of a symbolic gesture that can signify forgiveness.
- of or expressed in a symbol or symbols
- that serves as a symbol (of something)
- characterized by symbolism
Origin of symbolicLate Latin symbolicus ; from Classical Greek symbolikos
- a. Serving as a symbol: Roses are symbolic of love.b. Serving as a particular instance of a broader pattern or situation; representative: The new building is symbolic of the recent changes that have taken place in the neighborhood.
- Of, relating to, or expressed by means of symbols or a symbol: the symbolic meaning of the poem.
- Using symbolism: symbolic art.
(comparative more symbolic, superlative most symbolic)
- Pertaining to a symbol.
- Referring to something with an implicit meaning.