- Representative is defined as standing or acting for other(s).
An example of representative is a person who fills in for a sick manager.
- The definition of a representative is a person or thing that is an example or someone who is authorized to speak for someone else.
- An example of representative is the picture of the olive on the can that shows the size of the olives in the can.
- An example of representative is a student sent from each grade to be part of Student Council.
- An example of representative is the person send to Congress to represent a specific group of U.S. residents.
- representing or serving to represent; specif.,
- picturing; portraying; reproducing
- acting or speaking, esp. by due authority, in the place or on behalf of another or others; esp., serving as a delegate in a legislative assembly
- composed of persons duly authorized, as by election, to act and speak for others: a representative assembly
- of, characterized by, or based on representation of the people by elected delegates: representative government
- being an example or type of a certain class or kind of thing; typical: a building representative of modern architecture
Origin of representativeMiddle English from Middle French or ML: Middle French représentatif from Medieval Latin repraesentativus
- a person or thing enough like the others in its class or kind to serve as an example or type
- a person duly authorized to act or speak for another or others; specif.,
- a member of a legislative assembly
- a salesperson or agent for a business firm
- [R-] a member of the lower house of Congress (House of Representatives) or of a state legislature
- One that serves as an example or type for others of the same classification.
- One that serves as a delegate or agent for another.
- a. A member of a governmental body, usually legislative, chosen by popular vote.b. A member of the US House of Representatives or of the lower house of a state legislature.
- Representing, depicting, or portraying or able to do so.
- Authorized to act as an official delegate or agent.
- Of or characteristic of government by representation.
- Like or typical of others of the same class.
(comparative more representative, superlative most representative)
- Typical; having the same properties of interest as a larger group.
- Are you sure this paper is representative of your child's writing?
- If you took all the fools out of the legislature, it wouldn't be a representative body anymore. "” Texas State Senator Carl Parker.
- One who may speak for another in a particular capacity, especially in negotiation.
- I will send a representative to work out the details of the contract.
- A member of a legislative or governing body who represents a constituency.
- She served four terms as representative of her local at the national union convention.
- One that is taken as typical of its class.
- (US, politics) A member of the US House of Representatives.
- All representatives face re-election every two years.
From Old French representatif.
representative - Legal Definition