- Example is defined as something or someone that is used as a model.
- An example of the word "example" is a previously baked pie shown to a cooking class.
- An example of the word "example" is 2x2=4 used to show multiplication.
- An example of the word "example" is a couch with a standard fabric, even though many fabrics are available as options.
- The definition of example is a punishment that warns others to follow rules.
An example of the word "example" is a troubled movie star getting a longer jail term because more news coverage encourages more people to stay out of trouble.
A chef shows an example of a perfect pie.
example definition by Webster's New World
- something selected to show the nature or character of the rest; single part or unit used as a sample; typical instance
- a case, punishment, etc. that serves as a warning or caution: to fine a speeder as an example to others
- a person or thing to be imitated; model; pattern; precedent
- a problem, as in mathematics, designed to illustrate a principle or method
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French example, essample ; from Classical Latin exemplum, sample, example ; from eximere, to take out ; from ex-, out plush emere, to buy ; from Indo-European base an unverified form em-, to take from source Lithuanian imù
example definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One that is representative of a group as a whole: the squirrel, an example of a rodent; introduced each new word with examples of its use.
- One serving as a pattern of a specific kind: set a good example by arriving on time.
- A similar case that constitutes a model or precedent: a unique episode, without example in maritime history.
- a. A punishment given as a warning or deterrent.b. One that has been given such a punishment: made an example of the offender.
- A problem or exercise used to illustrate a principle or method.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French example, essaumple, from Latin exemplum, from eximere, to take out : ex-, ex- + emere, to take; see em- in Indo-European roots.
example - Phrases/Idioms
set an example