- The definition of an exemplar is person or thing that is considered as a pattern to be copied.
- An example of an exemplar is a person that others try to imitate, such as Michael Jackson.
- An example of an exemplar is a copy of a manuscript.
exemplar definition by Webster's New World
- a person or thing regarded as worthy of imitation; model; pattern; archetype
- a typical specimen or example
- a copy of a book, pamphlet, etc.
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French exemplaire ; from Late Latin exemplarium ; from Classical Latin exemplum, a pattern, example
exemplar definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.
- One that is typical or representative; an example.
- An ideal that serves as a pattern; an archetype.
- A copy, as of a book.
Origin: Middle English exemplere, from Late Latin exemplārium, from Latin exemplum, example; see example.
exemplar - Legal Definition