- The definition of a prototype is the original model.
An example of a prototype is the first model of a new robot.
prototype definition by Webster's New World
- the first thing or being of its kind; original; model; pattern; archetype
- a person or thing that serves as a model for one of a later period
- a full-scale, operational model, used for demonstration or testing, that incorporates a new design or features
- a perfect example of a particular type
Origin: French ; from Classical Greek prōtotypon ; from prōtotypos, original: see proto- and amp; type
prototype definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An original type, form, or instance serving as a basis or standard for later stages.
- An original, full-scale, and usually working model of a new product or new version of an existing product.
- An early, typical example.
- Biology A form or species that serves as an original type or example.
Origin: French, from Greek prōtotupon, from neuter of prōtotupos, original : prōto-, proto- + tupos, model.
- proˌto·typˈal , proˌto·typˈic , proˌto·typˈi·cal adjective
prototype - Business Definition
prototype - Medical Definition