Forerunner is defined as something or someone that goes before to tells that something or someone is coming.
An early winter storm is a forerunner of a bad winter.
- a person sent before or going before to announce or prepare the way for another or for something to follow; herald
- a sign that tells or warns of something to follow; prognostic
- a predecessor
- an ancestor
Origin of forerunnerMiddle English forerenner, after Classical Latin praecursor
- a. One that precedes, as in time; a predecessor.b. An ancestor; a forebear.
- a. One that comes before and indicates the approach of another; a harbinger.b. A warning sign or symptom.
- One who skis a course before the beginning of a race.
- a runner at the front or ahead
- (sports) by extension, a non-competitor who leads out the competitors on to the circuit, or who runs/rides the course prior to competitor trials, usually testing or checking the way.
- a precursor or harbinger, a warning ahead
- a forebear, an ancestor, a predecessor
- (philately) a postage stamp used in the time before a region or area issues stamps of its own