- The definition of an omen is something that is believed to predict the future.
An example of what some believe to be an omen is seeing roadkill.
- To omen is defined as to predict or foreshadow the future.
An example of to omen is for a psychic to give a future reading.
Origin of omenClassical Latin ; from Old Latin osmen
- A phenomenon supposed to portend good or evil; a prophetic sign.
- Prognostication; portent: birds of ill omen.
transitive verbo·mened, o·men·ing, o·mens
Origin of omenLatin &omacron;men.
- Adjectives often applied to "omen": good, ill, bad, auspicious, evil, favorable, happy, lucky.
(third-person singular simple present omens, present participle omening, simple past and past participle omened)
From Latin omen (“foreboding, omen").