- The definition of foreboding is someone or something that implies something bad or dangerous will occur.
An example of foreboding is dark clouds that suggest rain is likely.
- Foreboding is defined as a feeling or premonition that something bad is going to occur.
An example of foreboding is a feeling of unease and a worry that imminent danger is about to occur.
Origin of forebodingOld English forebodung
- A sense of impending evil or misfortune.
- An evil omen; a portent.
(comparative more foreboding, superlative most foreboding)
- Of ominous significance; serving as an ill omen; foretelling of harm or difficulty.
- Present participle of forebode.
fore- + boding