- The definition of apprehensive is a person who is upset or worried about some future event or about the possibility that something will happen.
If you have a premonition that something bad is going to happen and that makes you very concerned and nervous, that is an example of being apprehensive.
This woman appears apprehensive.
apprehensive definition by Webster's New World
- able or quick to apprehend or understand
- having to do with perceiving or understanding
- anxious or fearful about the future; uneasy
Origin: Middle English ; from Midieval Latin apprehensivus ; from past participle of Classical Latin apprehendere, apprehend
apprehensive definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Anxious or fearful about the future; uneasy. See Synonyms at afraid.
- Capable of understanding and quick to apprehend.
- apˌpre·henˈsive·ly adverb
- apˌpre·henˈsive·ness noun