This child is fearful of climbing this rock.
An example of fearful is the look on the face of someone who's frightened of heights; a fearful look.
- causing fear; terrifying; dreadful
- feeling fear; afraid
- showing or resulting from fear: a fearful look
- Informal very bad, offensive, great, etc.: a fearful liar
- a. Experiencing fear; frightened: fearful about losing one's job; fearful of a scornful response.b. Inclined to feel anxiety or apprehension; timid; nervous.c. Indicating anxiety or fear: “Sare faltered, a fearful look clouding her face” ( Donna Morrisey )
- Causing or capable of causing fear; frightening: a fearful howling.
- Extreme, as in degree or extent. Used especially of something negative: a fearful blunder; fearful poverty.
(comparative fearfuller, superlative fearfullest)
From fear + -ful.