- The definition of fearful is feeling afraid, or causing fear.
An example of fearful is the look on the face of someone who's frightened of heights; a fearful look.
This child is fearful of climbing this rock.
fearful definition by Webster's New World
- causing fear; terrifying; dreadful
- feeling fear; afraid
- showing or resulting from fear: a fearful look
- Informal very bad, offensive, great, etc.: a fearful liar
- fearfulness noun
fearful definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Causing or capable of causing fear; frightening: a fearful howling.
- Experiencing fear; frightened. See Synonyms at afraid.
- Feeling or inclined to feel anxiety or apprehension; timid; nervous.
- Indicating anxiety, fear, or terror: a fearful, nervous glance.
- Feeling reverence, dread, or awe.
- Extreme, as in degree or extent; dreadful: a fearful blunder; fearful poverty.
- fearˈful·ly adverb
- fearˈful·ness noun