- The definition of pleasant is someone or something that is agreeable, enjoyable or likable.
- An example of pleasant is a cheerful and friendly person.
- An example of pleasant is a nice evening with friends.
- agreeable to the mind or senses; pleasing; delightful
- having an agreeable manner, appearance, etc.; amiable
- Obsolete merry; playful
Origin of pleasantMiddle English plesaunte ; from Middle French plaisant, present participle of plaisir, to please
- Giving or affording pleasure or enjoyment; agreeable: a pleasant scene; pleasant sensations.
- Pleasing in manner, behavior, or appearance.
- Fair and comfortable: pleasant weather.
- Merry; lively.
Origin of pleasantMiddle English plesaunt, from Old French plaisant, present participle of plaisir, to please, from Latin placēre; see plāk-1 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative pleasanter or more pleasant, superlative pleasantest or most pleasant)
From Old French plaisant.