- The definition of repellent is causing to be kept away.
An example of something repellent is a disgusting odor.
- Repellent is defined as something that keeps away or prevents.
An example of a repellent is a bug spray.
- that repels; pushing away or driving back
- causing distaste, dislike, or aversion; repulsive
- causing insects, etc. to react by staying away
- able to resist the absorption of liquid, esp. water, to a limited extent: a water-repellent raincoat
Origin of repellentClassical Latin repellens
- a solution applied to fabric to make it water-repellent
- any substance used to repel insects
- Inspiring aversion or distaste; repulsive. See Synonyms at hateful, offensive.
- Resistant or impervious to a substance. Often used in combination: a water-repellent fabric.
- Serving or tending to repel something, especially insects: a repellent spray.
- re·pel′lence, re·pel′len·cy
(comparative more repellent, superlative most repellent)
From Latin repellens.