- The definition of repellent is causing to be kept away.
An example of something repellent is a disgusting odor.
- Repellent is defined as something that keeps away or prevents.
An example of a repellent is a bug spray.
- that repels; pushing away or driving back
- causing distaste, dislike, or aversion; repulsive
- causing insects, etc. to react by staying away
- able to resist the absorption of liquid, esp. water, to a limited extent: a water-repellent raincoat
Origin: L repellens
- a solution applied to fabric to make it water-repellent
- any substance used to repel insects
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Serving or tending to repel.b. Able to repel.
- Inspiring aversion or distaste; repulsive. See Synonyms at hateful, offensive.
- Resistant or impervious to a substance. Often used in combination: a water-repellent fabric.
- One that repels.
- a. A substance used to repel insects.b. A substance or treatment for making a fabric or surface impervious or resistant to something else.
- re·pelˈlence, re·pelˈlen·cy noun
- re·pelˈlent·ly adverb
repellent - Medical Definition