- tending to repel
- causing strong dislike or aversion; disgusting; offensive
- characterized by, or having the nature of, repulsion
Origin of repulsiveMedieval Latin repulsivus
- Causing repugnance or aversion; disgusting. See Synonyms at offensive.
- Tending to repel or drive off: a repulsive barrage.
- Physics Of or relating to repulsion: a repulsive force.
(comparative more repulsive, superlative most repulsive)
- Nouns to which "repulsive" is often applied: force, interaction, potential.
repulse + -ive