- The definition of abhorrent is something that is disgusting or hated.
An example of an abhorrent action would be the way a vegetarian feels about eating meat.
abhorrent definition by Webster's New World
- causing disgust, hatred, etc.; detestable: an abhorrent crime
- feeling abhorrence
- opposed or contrary (to): abhorrent to his principles
Origin: Classical Latin abhorrens, present participle of abhorrere, abhor
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- abhorrently adverb
abhorrent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Disgusting, loathsome, or repellent.
- Feeling repugnance or loathing.
- Archaic Being strongly opposed.
- ab·horˈrent·ly adverb