An example of an abhorrent action would be the way a vegetarian feels about eating meat.
- causing disgust, hatred, etc.; detestable: an abhorrent crime
- feeling abhorrence
- opposed or contrary (to): abhorrent to his principles
Origin of abhorrentClassical Latin abhorrens, present participle of abhorrere, abhor
- Disgusting, loathsome, or repellent.
- Feeling repugnance or loathing.
(comparative more abhorrent, superlative most abhorrent)
- Nouns to which abhorrent is often applied: behavior, act, crime, practice, thing.
- (opposed): abhorrent is typically folled by from.
- (contrary): abhorrent is followed by to.