The definition of abominable is awful, hated, really bad or unpleasant, or gross.adjective
1. An example of abominable would be cruelty to animals. 2. Another example of abominable would be swimming in a freezing cold pool.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- nasty and disgusting; vile; loathsome
- highly unpleasant; disagreeable; very bad: abominable taste
Origin: ME abhominable (sp. infl. by folk etym. deriv. < L ab homine, away from man, inhuman) < OFr abominable < L abominabilis < abominari: see abominate
- abominably adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Unequivocally detestable; loathsome: abominable treatment of prisoners.
- Thoroughly unpleasant or disagreeable: abominable weather.
Origin: Middle English abhominable, from Old French, from Latin abōminābilis, from abōminārī, to abhor; see abominate.
- a·bomˈi·na·bly adverb