- The definition of abominable is awful, hated, really bad or unpleasant, or gross.
1. An example of abominable would be cruelty to animals.2. Another example of abominable would be swimming in a freezing cold pool.
abominable definition by Webster's New World
- nasty and disgusting; vile; loathsome
- highly unpleasant; disagreeable; very bad: abominable taste
Origin: Middle English abhominable (sp. influenced, influence by folk etymology derived, derivative ; from Classical Latin ab homine, away from man, inhuman) ; from Old French abominable ; from Classical Latin abominabilis ; from abominari: see abominate
- abominably adverb
abominable definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Unequivocally detestable; loathsome: abominable treatment of prisoners.
- Thoroughly unpleasant or disagreeable: abominable weather.
Origin: Middle English abhominable, from Old French, from Latin abōminābilis, from abōminārī, to abhor; see abominate.
- a·bomˈi·na·bly adverb