- The definition of atrocious is something evil, cruel or absolutely horrible.
The actions of Pol Pot in Cambodia are an example of atrocious.
atrocious definition by Webster's New World
- very cruel, evil, brutal, etc.
- appalling or dismaying
- very bad, unpleasant, offensive, inferior, etc.: an atrocious joke
Origin: ; from Classical Latin atrox, (gen. atrocis), fierce, cruel ; from ater, black plush -ox ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps base of oculus, eye
atrocious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Extremely evil or cruel; monstrous: an atrocious crime.
- Exceptionally bad; abominable: atrocious decor; atrocious behavior.
Origin: From Latin atrōx, atrōc-, frightful, cruel; see āter- in Indo-European roots.
- a·troˈcious·ly adverb
- a·troˈcious·ness noun
atrocious - Legal Definition