The actions of Pol Pot in Cambodia are an example of atrocious.
- very cruel, evil, brutal, etc.
- appalling or dismaying
- very bad, unpleasant, offensive, inferior, etc.: an atrocious joke
Origin of atrocious; from Classical Latin atrox (gen. atrocis), fierce, cruel ; from ater, black + -ox ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps base of oculus, eye
- Extremely evil or cruel; monstrous: an atrocious crime.
- Exceptionally bad; abominable: atrocious decor; atrocious behavior.
Origin of atrociousFrom Latin atrōx, atrōc-, frightful, cruel; see āter- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more atrocious, superlative most atrocious)
- Nouns to which "atrocious" is often applied: crime, act, murder, condition, spelling, grammar.
From Latin atrox (“fierce, frightful, cruel”), from ater (“black”).
atrocious - Legal Definition