- The definition of horrible is something very frightful, dreadful or shocking.
Sour milk is an example of something that would be described as tasting horrible.
horrible definition by Webster's New World
- causing a feeling of horror; terrible; dreadful; frightful
- Informal very bad, ugly, shocking, unpleasant, etc.
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin horribilis ; from horrere: see horrid
horrible definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Arousing or tending to arouse horror; dreadful: “War is beyond all words horrible” (Winston S. Churchill).
- Very unpleasant; disagreeable.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin horribilis, from horrēre, to tremble.
- horˈri·ble·ness noun
- horˈri·bly adverb