- The definition of horrible is something very frightful, dreadful or shocking.
Sour milk is an example of something that would be described as tasting horrible.
- causing a feeling of horror; terrible; dreadful; frightful
- Informal very bad, ugly, shocking, unpleasant, etc.
Origin: Middle English from Old French from Classical Latin horribilis from horrere: see horrid
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Arousing or tending to arouse horror; dreadful: “War is beyond all words horrible” (Winston S. Churchill).
- Very unpleasant; disagreeable.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin horribilis, from horrēre, to tremble.
- horˈri·ble·ness noun
- horˈri·bly adverb