horrible[hôr′ə bəl, här′-]
- The definition of horrible is something very frightful, dreadful or shocking.
Sour milk is an example of something that would be described as tasting horrible.
- causing a feeling of horror; terrible; dreadful; frightful
- Informal very bad, ugly, shocking, unpleasant, etc.
Origin of horribleMiddle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin horribilis ; from horrere: see horrid
- Arousing or tending to arouse horror; dreadful: “War is beyond all words horrible” (Winston S. Churchill).
- Very unpleasant; disagreeable.
Origin of horribleMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin horribilis, from horrēre, to tremble.
(comparative horribler or more horrible, superlative horriblest or most horrible)
First attested in Middle English (alternately as horrible and orrible) in 1303 : from Old French horrible , from Latin horribilis , from horr(ēre) (“bristle with fear ; shudder ; stand on end ; tremble ”) + -ibilis (“-ible”) .