The definition of an atrocity is something that is very cruel or brutal.
The Holocaust is an example of an atrocity.
- atrocious behavior or condition; brutality, cruelty, etc.
- an atrocious act
- Informal a very displeasing or tasteless thing
Origin of atrocityClassical Latin atrocitas from atrox: see atrocious
- Appalling or atrocious condition, quality, or behavior; monstrousness.
- An appalling or atrocious act, situation, or object, especially an act of unusual or illegal cruelty inflicted by an armed force on civilians or prisoners.
(countable and uncountable, plural atrocities)
- From Latin atrox (“terrible, cruel”), from āter (“matte black”)