- The definition of horrid is something that is unpleasant, disagreeable or terrible.
An example of something that would be described as horrid is the taste of spoiled milk.
- Archaic bristling; shaggy; rough
- causing a feeling of horror; terrible; revolting
- very bad, ugly, unpleasant, etc.
Origin: L horridus from horrere, to bristle, shake, be afraid from Indo-European base an unverified form ĝhers-, to bristle from source gorse
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Causing horror; dreadful.
- Extremely disagreeable; offensive.
- Archaic Bristling; rough.
Origin: Alteration (influenced by Latin horridus, bristling) of Middle English horred, past participle of horren, to bristle, from Latin horrēre, to tremble, bristle.
- horˈrid·ly adverb
- horˈrid·ness noun