- The definition of horrid is something that is unpleasant, disagreeable or terrible.
An example of something that would be described as horrid is the taste of spoiled milk.
horrid definition by Webster's New World
- Archaic bristling; shaggy; rough
- causing a feeling of horror; terrible; revolting
- very bad, ugly, unpleasant, etc.
Origin: Classical Latin horridus ; from horrere, to bristle, shake, be afraid ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ĝhers-, to bristle from source gorse
horrid definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Causing horror; dreadful.
- Extremely disagreeable; offensive.
- Archaic Bristling; rough.
Origin: Alteration (influenced by Latin horridus, bristling) of Middle English horred, past participle of horren, to bristle, from Latin horrēre, to tremble, bristle.
- horˈrid·ly adverb
- horˈrid·ness noun