- Obs. a shuddering
- the strong feeling caused by something frightful or shocking; shuddering fear and disgust; terror and repugnance
- strong dislike or aversion; loathing
- the quality of causing horror
- something that causes horror
- a genre of fiction, films, comic books, etc. characterized by the depiction of frightening events and, variously, ghosts, vampires, monsters, etc.
- Informal something very bad, ugly, disagreeable, etc.
Origin of horrorMiddle English horrour from Old French from Classical Latin horror from horrere, to bristle: see horrid