- The definition of an aversion is a dislike or distaste for something or someone, or a desire to avoid something or someone.
An example of an aversion is when you dislike hot dogs and refuse to eat them as a result.
- Obsolete the act of turning away
- an intense or definite dislike; antipathy; repugnance
- the object arousing such dislike
Origin: Classical Latin aversio ; from aversus, past participle of avertere: see avert
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A fixed, intense dislike; repugnance: formed an aversion to crowds.
- The cause or object of such a feeling.
- The avoidance of a thing, situation, or behavior because it has been associated with an unpleasant or painful stimulus.
- Obsolete The act of turning away or averting.
aversion - Medical Definition
- A fixed, intense dislike; repugnance, as of crowds.
- A feeling of extreme repugnance accompanied by avoidance or rejection.