- The definition of an aversion is a dislike or distaste for something or someone, or a desire to avoid something or someone.
An example of an aversion is when you dislike hot dogs and refuse to eat them as a result.
- Obsolete the act of turning away
- an intense or definite dislike; antipathy; repugnance
- the object arousing such dislike
Origin of aversionClassical Latin aversio ; from aversus, past participle of avertere: see avert
- a. A fixed, intense dislike; repugnance: formed an aversion to crowds.b. The cause or object of such a feeling: “I jumped up, and ran out of the room &ellipsis; because a newspaper writer is my aversion” (Fanny Kemble).
- The avoidance of a thing, situation, or behavior because it has been associated with an unpleasant or painful stimulus.
- The act or fact of averting: the aversion of a disaster.