- The definition of fear is an emotion caused by anxiety or the uneasiness of being afraid of something or someone.
An example of fear is the feeling felt in a haunted house.
- Fear is defined as to be afraid of someone or something.
An example of fear is for a child to be scared of getting a shot.
This child fears getting a shot.
fear definition by Webster's New World
- a feeling of anxiety and agitation caused by the presence or nearness of danger, evil, pain, etc.; timidity; dread; terror; fright; apprehension
- respectful dread; awe; reverence
- a feeling of uneasiness or apprehension; concern: a fear that it will rain
- a cause for fear; possibility; chance: there was no fear of difficulty
Origin: Middle English fer ; from Old English fær, literally , sudden attack, akin to Old High German fāra, ambush, snare: for Indo-European base see peril
- Obsolete to fill with fear; frighten
- to be afraid of; dread
- to feel reverence or awe for
- to expect with misgiving; suspect: I fear I am late
- to feel fear; be afraid
- to be uneasy, anxious, or doubtful
fear definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A feeling of agitation and anxiety caused by the presence or imminence of danger.b. A state or condition marked by this feeling: living in fear.
- A feeling of disquiet or apprehension: a fear of looking foolish.
- Extreme reverence or awe, as toward a supreme power.
- A reason for dread or apprehension: Being alone is my greatest fear.
- To be afraid or frightened of.
- To be uneasy or apprehensive about: feared the test results.
- To be in awe of; revere.
- To consider probable; expect: I fear you are wrong. I fear I have bad news for you.
- Archaic To feel fear within (oneself).
- To be afraid.
- To be uneasy or apprehensive.
Origin: Middle English fer, from Old English fǣr, danger, sudden calamity; see per-3 in Indo-European roots.
- fearˈer noun
fear - Ologies & -Isms Definition
See also phobias.horripilation the raising of the hairs on the skin as a response to cold or fear; goose bumps or goose pimples. panophobia 1. a nonspecific fear, a state of general anxiety. 2. an abnormal fear of everything. Also panphobia, pantaphobia, pantophobia. —panophobe, n. —panophobic, adj. phobophobia 1. an abnormal fear of being af raid; a fear of fear itself. 2. a fear of phobias. polyphobia an abnormal fear of many things.
fear - Medical Definition
fear - Phrases/Idioms
for fear of