- Reverence is defined as deep respect, or is a name given to a holy figure in a religious institution.
- An example ofreverence is when you show deep and complete respect for the Bible as the word of God.
- The respectful term used to address a priest is an example ofreverence: "Your Reverence."
- The definition of reverence is treating with great respect.
When you treat a deity with great respect, this is an example of reverence.
- a feeling or attitude of deep respect, love, and awe, as for something sacred; veneration
- a manifestation of this; specif., a bow, curtsy, or similar gesture of respect; obeisance
- the state of being revered
- [R-] a title used in speaking to or of a member of the clergy: preceded by Your or by His or Her
Origin of reverenceOld French from Classical Latin reverentia from reverens: see reverent
transitive verb-·enced, -·enc·ing
- A feeling of profound awe and respect and often love. See Synonyms at honor.
- An act showing respect, especially a bow or curtsy.
- Reverence Used as a form of address for certain members of the Christian clergy: Your Reverence.
transitive verbrev·er·enced, rev·er·enc·ing, rev·er·enc·es
(countable and uncountable, plural reverences)
(third-person singular simple present reverences, present participle reverencing, simple past and past participle reverenced)
- To show reverence.