- Obeisance is respect, or gestures conveying or signifying respect.
An example of obeisance is bowing down before a king and kissing his hand.
- a gesture of respect or reverence, such as a bow or curtsy
- the attitude shown by this; homage; deference
Origin of obeisanceMiddle English obeisaunce ; from Old French obeissance ; from obeissant, present participle of obeir, obey
- A gesture or movement of the body, such as a curtsy, that expresses deference or homage.
- An attitude of deference or homage.
Origin of obeisanceMiddle English obeisaunce, from Old French obeissance, from obeissant, present participle of obeir, to obey; see obey.
- Usually in the phrases do obeisance or make obeisance.