- The definition of homage is a public show of respect or honor to someone.
An example of homage is publicly promoting and congratulating someone.
homage definition by Webster's New World
- a public avowal of allegiance by a vassal to his lord
- an act done or thing given to show the relationship between lord and vassal
- anything given or done to show reverence, honor, or respect: usually with do or pay: to pay homage to a hero
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French hommage ; from Midieval Latin hominaticum, vassal's service, homage ; from Classical Latin homo, a man: see homo
homage definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Ceremonial acknowledgment by a vassal of allegiance to his lord under feudal law.
- Special honor or respect shown or expressed publicly. See Synonyms at honor.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, probably from omne, homme, man, from Latin homō, homin-; see dhghem- in Indo-European roots.