- The definition of demonstration is a proof or example of something.
- When protesters get together to show their presence and support, this is an example of ademonstration.
- When a child shows the class how his science project works, this is an example of ademonstration.
Protesters stage a demonstration.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- the act, process, or means of making evident or proving
- an explanation by example, experiment, etc.
- a practical showing of how something works or is used; specif., such a showing of a product in an effort to sell it
- a display or outward show: a demonstration of grief
- a public show of feeling or opinion, as by a mass meeting or parade
- a show of military force or preparedness
- a logical proof in which a certain conclusion is shown to follow from certain premises
Origin: Middle English demonstracion ; from Classical Latin demonstratio ; from demonstrare: see demonstrate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The act of showing or making evident.
- Conclusive evidence; proof.
- An illustration or explanation, as of a theory or product, by exemplification or practical application.
- A manifestation, as of one's feelings.
- A public display of group opinion, as by a rally or march: peace demonstrations.