- The definition of a fiend is someone who obsesses over an activity or thing.
- An example of a fiend is someone who does a lot of drugs (a drug fiend).
- An example of a fiend is a constant shopper.
- A fiend is defined as a person who is evil and cruel.
An example of a fiend is someone who is not kind to animals.
fiend definition by Webster's New World
- an evil spirit; devil
- an inhumanly wicked or cruel person
- ☆ Informal
- a person addicted to some activity, habit, etc.: a fresh-air fiend
- a person who is excellent at some activity: a fiend at tennis
Origin: Middle English fend, feend ; from Old English feond, literally , the one hating, origin, originally present participle ; from base of feogan, to hate, akin to Gothic fijands ; from fijan, to hate ; from Indo-European base an unverified form pē(i)-, to harm
fiend definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An evil spirit; a demon.b. The Devil; Satan.c. A diabolically evil or wicked person.
- Informal One who is addicted to something: a dope fiend.
- Informal One who is completely absorbed in or obsessed with a given job or pastime: a crossword-puzzle fiend.
- Informal One who is particularly adept at something: a fiend with computers.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English fēond; see pē(i)- in Indo-European roots.
fiend - Phrases/Idioms