- The definition of an illustration is a picture or a drawing or the act of creating the drawing, or is an example used to explain or prove something.
- An example of an illustration is a picture accompanying a magazine article.
- An example of an illustration is the description of deforestation used to show the harm that humans are having on the environment.
An antique illustration of plants.
illustration definition by Webster's New World
- an illustrating or being illustrated
- an example, story, analogy, etc. used to help explain or make something clear
- a picture, design, diagram, etc. used to decorate or explain something
Origin: Middle English illustracione ; from Old French illustration ; from Classical Latin illustratio
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- illustrational adjective
illustration definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act of clarifying or explaining.b. The state of being clarified or explained.
- Material used to clarify or explain. See Synonyms at example.
- Visual matter used to clarify or decorate a text.
- Obsolete Illumination.
- ilˌlus·traˈtion·al adjective