- The definition of an illustration is a picture or a drawing or the act of creating the drawing, or is an example used to explain or prove something.
- An example of an illustration is a picture accompanying a magazine article.
- An example of an illustration is the description of deforestation used to show the harm that humans are having on the environment.
An antique illustration of plants.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- an illustrating or being illustrated
- an example, story, analogy, etc. used to help explain or make something clear
- a picture, design, diagram, etc. used to decorate or explain something
Origin: Middle English illustracione from Old French illustration from Classical Latin illustratio
- illustrational adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The act of clarifying or explaining.b. The state of being clarified or explained.
- Material used to clarify or explain. See Synonyms at example.
- Visual matter used to clarify or decorate a text.
- Obsolete Illumination.
- ilˌlus·traˈtion·al adjective