An antique illustration of plants.
- The definition of an illustration is a picture or a drawing or the act of creating the drawing, or is an example used to explain or prove something.
- An example of an illustration is a picture accompanying a magazine article.
- An example of an illustration is the description of deforestation used to show the harm that humans are having on the environment.
- an illustrating or being illustrated
- an example, story, analogy, etc. used to help explain or make something clear
- a picture, design, diagram, etc. used to decorate or explain something
Origin of illustrationMiddle English illustracione ; from Old French illustration ; from Classical Latin illustratio
- The act of illustrating or the state of being illustrated: concepts that would benefit from illustration; an idea that lends itself to illustration.
- A picture or image that is used to decorate or clarify a text.
- An example that is used to clarify or explain something. See Synonyms at example.
- Obsolete Illumination.
- The act of illustrating; the act of making clear and distinct; education; also, the state of being illustrated, or of being made clear and distinct.
- That which illustrates; a comparison or example intended to make clear or apprehensible, or to remove obscurity.
- A picture designed to decorate a volume or elucidate a literary work.
- A calculated prevision of insurance premiums and returns (life insurance)
From Middle French illustration, from Latin illūstrātiō, from illūstrō (“I illustrate”).