- Homo is defined as being a human which is part of the genus Homo of hominids, or is offensive slang for a homosexual.
- An example of a homo is a human.
- An example of a homo is an offensive term for a gay man.
Origin of homoClassical Latin a man, human being ; from Indo-European an unverified form ĝhom- ; from base an unverified form ĝhthem-, earth, ground from source Classical Latin humus, Classical Greek chthōn, earth, Old English guma, man
Origin of homo-Classical Greek homo- ; from homos, same
nounpl. ho·mos Offensive Slang
Origin of homoShort for homosexual.
- A genus of primates that includes modern humans (Homo sapiens) and several extinct species.
- Used in combination with mock Latin adjectives to indicate a type of person or to characterize humans generally, often for humorous effect: Homo apatheticus.
Origin of HomoLatin homō, man; see dhghem- in Indo-European roots.
Origin of homo-Greek, from homos, same; see sem-1 in Indo-European roots.
(countable and uncountable, plural homos)
(comparative more homo, superlative most homo)
A clipping of words formed from Greek ὁμο- (homo-, meaning same).