- The definition of gay is someone or something bright or happy.
An example of gay is a bouquet of flowers with many brilliant colors.
- Gay means a homosexual person.
An example of gay is a man who is only attracted to other men.
- Gay is defined as a homosexual person.
An example of gay is Elton John.
A gay bouquet of flowers.
gay definition by Webster's New World
- joyous and lively; merry; happy; lighthearted
- bright; brilliant: gay colors
- given to social life and pleasures: a gay life
- wanton; licentious: a gay dog
- homosexual: now often used specif. of male homosexuals
- of, for, or relating to homosexuals, often, specif., male homosexuals: gay liberation
Origin: Middle English gai ; from Old French ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Frankish an unverified form gahi, swift, impetuous, akin to German jäh
- gayness noun
gay definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective gay·er, gay·est
- Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.
- Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry.
- Bright or lively, especially in color: a gay, sunny room.
- Given to social pleasures.
- Dissolute; licentious.
- A person whose sexual orientation is to persons of the same sex.
- A man whose sexual orientation is to men: an alliance of gays and lesbians.
Origin: Middle English gai, lighthearted, brightly colored, from Old French, possibly of Germanic origin.
- gayˈness noun
, John 1685-1732.
gay - Cultural Definition
Descriptive term for homosexuals.
gay - Medical Definition