- The definition of a revel is a loud celebration.
An example of revel is Carnival in Rio de Janeiro.
- Revel is defined as to celebrate loudly or to take great pleasure in something.
An example of revel is partying during Mardi Gras.
intransitive verbreveled or revelled, reveling or revelling
- to make merry; be noisily festive
- to take much pleasure; delight (in): to revel in one's freedom
Origin of revelMiddle English revelen ; from Middle French reveler, to revel, literally , to rebel ; from Classical Latin rebellare: see rebel
- boisterous festivity; merrymaking; revelry
- an occasion of merrymaking or boisterous festivity; celebration
Origin of revelME < MFr < the v.
intransitive verbrev·eled, rev·el·ing, rev·els also rev·elled or rev·el·ling
- To take great pleasure or delight: She reveled in her unaccustomed leisure.
- To engage in uproarious festivities; make merry.
Origin of revelMiddle English revelen, to carouse, from Old French reveler, to rebel, carouse, from Latin rebellāre, to rebel; see Rebel .
- rev′el·er, rev′el·ler
(third-person singular simple present revels, present participle revelling or reveling, simple past and past participle revelled or reveled)
(third-person singular simple present revels, present participle revelling, simple past and past participle revelled)
- (architecture) Alternative form of reveal.