- The definition of a revel is a loud celebration.
An example of revel is Carnival in Rio de Janeiro.
- Revel is defined as to celebrate loudly or to take great pleasure in something.
An example of revel is partying during Mardi Gras.
revel definition by Webster's New World
- to make merry; be noisily festive
- to take much pleasure; delight (in): to revel in one's freedom
Origin: Middle English revelen ; from Middle French reveler, to revel, literally , to rebel ; from Classical Latin rebellare: see rebel
- boisterous festivity; merrymaking; revelry
- an occasion of merrymaking or boisterous festivity; celebration
Origin: ME < MFr < the v.
revel definition by American Heritage Dictionary
intransitive verb rev·eled also rev·elled, rev·el·ing also rev·el·ling, rev·els also rev·els
- To take great pleasure or delight: She reveled in her unaccustomed leisure.
- To engage in uproarious festivities; make merry.
Origin: Middle English revelen, to carouse, from Old French reveler, to rebel, carouse, from Latin rebellāre, to rebel; see Rebel .
- revˈel·er, revˈel·ler noun