The thief backed off when the cowboy revealed his six shooter.
- An example of reveal is a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat.
- An example of reveal is a magician showing the audience how she pulled a rabbit of her hat.
- An example of reveal is someone telling you their deep dark secret.
- to make known (something hidden or kept secret); disclose; divulge
- to expose to view; show; exhibit; display
- Theol. to make known by supernatural or divine means
Origin of revealMiddle English revelen from Old French reveler from Classical Latin revelare, literally , to draw back the veil from re-, back + velum, veil
Origin of revealterm used by stage magicians
- that part of the side of an opening for a window or door which is between the outer edge of the opening and the frame of the window or door
- the entire side of such an opening; jamb
Origin of revealfrom Middle English revalen, to bring down from Middle French revaler from re-, back + avaler, to lower from aval, downward from à (L ad, to) + val, vale
transitive verbre·vealed, re·veal·ing, re·veals
- a. To make known (something concealed or unknown): She revealed that she was pregnant. The study revealed the toxic effects of the pollutant.b. To cause to be seen; show: The curtains parted, revealing a ballerina. The x-ray revealed a broken bone.
- To make known by supernatural or divine means: “For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven” ( Romans 1:18 )
Origin of revealMiddle English revelen from Old French reveler from Latin revēlāre re- re- vēlāre to cover ( from vēlum veil )
- a. The part of the side of a window or door opening that is between the outer surface of a wall and the window or door frame.b. The whole side of such an opening; the jamb.
- The framework of a motor vehicle window.
Origin of revealFrom Middle English revalen to lower from Old French revaler re- re- avaler to lower ( from a val down ) ( a to ) ( from Latin ad ; see ad- . ) ( val valley ; see vale 1. )
(third-person singular simple present reveals, present participle revealing, simple past and past participle revealed)