- To discover is defined as to learn something new, become aware of something or to find something, especially if you are the first to locate it.
- An example of discover is when you find a cool new restaurant.
- An example of discover is when you find buried treasure.
- An example of discover is when you find you really do like carrots even though you thought you didn't.
This woman has discovered something nice.
- to be the first to find out, see, or know about
- to find out; learn of the existence of; realize
- to be the first nonnative person to find, come to, or see (a continent, river, etc.)
- to bring to prominence; make famous
- Now Rare to reveal; disclose; expose
- Archaic to uncover
Origin of discoverMiddle English discoveren ; from Old French descovrir ; from Late Latin discooperire, to discover, reveal: see dis- and amp; cover
transitive verbdis·cov·ered, dis·cov·er·ing, dis·cov·ers
- To notice or learn, especially by making an effort: got home and discovered that the furnace wasn't working.
- a. To be the first, or the first of one's group or kind, to find, learn of, or observe.b. To learn about for the first time in one's experience: discovered a new restaurant on the west side.
- To learn something about: discovered him to be an impostor; discovered the brake to be defective.
- To identify (a person) as a potentially prominent performer: a movie star who was discovered in a drugstore by a producer.
- Archaic To reveal or expose.
Origin of discoverMiddle English discoveren, to reveal, from Old French descovrir, from Late Latin discooperīre : Latin dis-, dis- + Latin cooperīre, to cover; see cover.
(third-person singular simple present discovers, present participle discovering, simple past and past participle discovered)
- (now rare) To expose, uncover.
- The gust of wind discovered a bone in the sand.
- (chess) To create by moving a piece out of another piece's line of attack.
- This move discovers an attack on a vital pawn.
- (archaic) To reveal (information); to divulge, make known.
- I discovered my plans to the rest of the team.
- To find something for the first time.
- Turning the corner, I discovered a lovely little shop.
- divorces, divorcés
- (US) Discover Card, a brand of credit card.