- To locate is defined as to find something.
An example of to locate is to find a missing pet.
locate definition by Webster's New World
- to mark off or designate the site of (a mining claim, etc.)
- to establish in a certain place: offices located downtown
- to discover the position of after a search: to locate a lost object
- to show the position of: to locate Guam on a map
- to assign to a particular place, function, occupation, etc.
Origin: ; from Classical Latin locatus, past participle of locare, to place ; from locus: see local
locate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb lo·cat·ed, lo·cat·ing, lo·cates verb, transitive
- To determine or specify the position or limits of: locate Albany on the map; managed to locate the site of the old artists' colony.
- To find by searching, examining, or experimenting: locate the source of error.
- To place at a certain location; station or situate: locate an agent in Rochester.
Origin: Latin locāre, locāt-, to place, from locus, place.
- loˈcatˌa·ble adjective
- loˈcatˌer noun