- The definition of fun is something that brings pleasure, joy or playfulness.
- An example of fun is dancing with friends.
- An example of fun is children playing together at the playground.
Children having fun at a park.
fun definition by Webster's New World
- lively, joyous play or playfulness; amusement, sport, recreation, etc.
- enjoyment or pleasure
- a source or cause of amusement or merriment, as an amusing person or thing
Origin: ; from Middle English fonne, a fool, foolish, or fonnen, to be foolish ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
fun definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A source of enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure.
- Enjoyment; amusement: have fun at the beach.
- Playful, often noisy, activity.
Origin: Possibly from fon, to make a fool of, from Middle English fonnen, to fool, possibly from fonne, fool.Usage Note: The use of fun as an attributive adjective, as in a fun time, a fun place, probably originated in a playful reanalysis of the use of the word in sentences such as It is fun to ski, where fun has the syntactic function of adjectives such as amusing or enjoyable. The usage became popular in the 1950s and 1960s, though there is some evidence to suggest that it has 19th-century antecedents, but it can still raise eyebrows among traditionalists. The day may come when this usage is entirely unremarkable, but writers may want to avoid it in more formal contexts.
fun - Phrases/Idioms
for funor in fun
make fun of