A playful dog fetching a ball.
- An example of playful is a dog fetching a ball.
- An example of playful is a satire.
The definition of playful is a lively and fun person or thing, or something said or done in a joking way.
- fond of play or fun; frisky
- said or done in fun; jocular
- Full of fun and high spirits; frolicsome or sportive: a playful kitten.
- Humorous; jesting: “He meant to be conversationally playful but his voice had no tone” ( Saul Bellow )
(comparative playfuller or more playful, superlative playfullest or most playful)
- liking play, prone to play frequently, such as a child or kitten; rather sportive.
- Actually, we are pretty playful in our romantic life.
- funny, humorous, jesting, frolicsome.
- John is a playful fellow.
- A party hat is a playful conical hat people wear at parties.
- fun, recreational, not serious.
- A brainteaser is a playful puzzle posed as a test of intelligence.
- He was a rather playful artist.
From Middle English pleiful, equivalent to play +"Ž -ful.