(comparative more hacking, superlative most hacking)
- Short and interrupted, broken, jerky; hacky.
- A hacking cough. A hacking laugh. A hacking breath. A hacking cry.
- A more hacking and harrowing cough I have never heard.
- Anise will diminish the most hacking cough to where it is no longer irritating.
Most non-creative collocations are the phrases given as examples.
- (computing) Playful solving of technical work that requires deep understanding, especially of a computer system.
- From hacker: "A person who delights in having an intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system, computers and computer networks in particular." "” RFC 1392
- (computing) Unauthorized attempts to bypass the security mechanisms of an information system or network. See also cracker.
- (pathology) A dry coughing; the emission of a succession of short coughs.
- (sports, chiefly American football, soccer, rugby) A kick in the shins.
- (massage) The act of striking the muscles with the side of the hand.
- (UK, countable) A riding or journey on horseback. (Plural hackings.)
- Present participle of hack.