- The definition of a bastard is someone whose parents did not marry, or is something that has been changed or is not normal, or is slang for someone who people do not like.
- An example of a bastard is a child who does not know her father.
- An example of something that can be referred to as a bastard is a song that has been poorly remade.
- An example of someone who may be called a bastard is someone who routinely bullies others.
bastard definition by Webster's New World
- a person born of parents not married to each other; illegitimate child
- anything spurious, inferior, or varying from standard
- Slang a person regarded with contempt, hatred, pity, resentment, etc. or, sometimes, with playful affection: a vulgar usage
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from bast- (also in fils de bast) (; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Gothic bansts, barn) plush -ard, -ard: hence, one conceived in a barn
- of illegitimate birth or of uncertain origin
- of a size or shape that differs from the normal or standard
- that is not truly the designated thing but that closely resembles it: gneiss is called bastard granite
- not genuine; sham; inferior
- bastardly adjective
bastard definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A child born out of wedlock.
- Something that is of irregular, inferior, or dubious origin.
- Slang A person, especially one who is held to be mean or disagreeable.
- Born of unwed parents; illegitimate.
- Not genuine; spurious: a bastard style of architecture.
- Resembling a known kind or species but not truly such.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, probably of Germanic origin; akin to Old Frisian bōst, marriage.
- basˈtard·ly adjective
bastard - Legal Definition
- Same as illegitimate child. See child.
- The child of a married woman whose father is not the woman’s husband or whose paternity is not conclusively established.