Testing for counterfeit money.
- The definition of counterfeit is fake or made in imitation.
An example of counterfeit is money that is not produced by the proper authorities.
- Counterfeit is defined as an imitation or forgery.
An example of counterfeit is a one hundred dollar bill made at home.
- To counterfeit is defined as to produce a fake version of something.
An example of counterfeit is the action taken by imposters who print their own money.
- made in imitation of something genuine so as to deceive or defraud; forged: counterfeit money
- pretended; sham; feigned: counterfeit sorrow
Origin of counterfeitMiddle English countrefete ; from Old French contrefait, past participle of contrefaire, to make in opposition, imitate ; from contre-, counter- + faire ; from Classical Latin facere, to make, do
- an imitation made to deceive; forgery
- something that so closely resembles something else as to mislead
- Obsolete an impostor; cheat
- to make an imitation of (money, pictures, etc.), usually in order to deceive or defraud
- to pretend; feign
- to resemble (something) closely
verbcoun·ter·feit·ed, coun·ter·feit·ing, coun·ter·feits
- To make an imitation or copy of (something), usually with the intent to defraud: counterfeits money.
- To make a pretense of; feign: counterfeited interest in the story.
- To carry on a deception; dissemble.
- To make fraudulent copies of something valuable.
- Made in imitation of what is genuine with the intent to defraud: a counterfeit dollar bill.
- Simulated; feigned: “‘You don't understand,’ Morrison said with counterfeit patience” (Stephen King).
Origin of counterfeitMiddle English countrefeten, from contrefet, made in imitation, from Old French contrefait, past participle of contrefaire, to counterfeit : contre-, counter- + faire, to make (from Latin facere; see dhē- in Indo-European roots).
(third-person singular simple present counterfeits, present participle counterfeiting, simple past and past participle counterfeited)
Anglo-Norman countrefait, from Old French contrefait.
counterfeit - Legal Definition