transitive verb-·at·ed, -·at·ing
- Now Rare to represent in the form of a person; personify; embody
- to act the part of; specif.,
- to mimic the appearance, manner, etc. of (a person) for purposes of entertainment
- to pretend to be for purposes of fraud: to impersonate an officer
transitive verbim·per·son·at·ed, im·per·son·at·ing, im·per·son·ates
- To assume the character or appearance of, especially fraudulently: impersonate a police officer.
- To imitate the appearance, voice, or manner of; mimic: an entertainer who impersonates celebrities.
(third-person singular simple present impersonates, present participle impersonating, simple past and past participle impersonated)
- To manifest in corporeal form, or in one's own person or body.
- To pretend to be (a different person), to assume the identity of.
- The conman managed to impersonate several executives.