- The definition of an ape is someone who imitates others.
An example of an ape is a child who is copying another child's behaviors.
- Ape is defined as a primate that is large, lacks a tail, and has arms of great length.
An example of an ape is a chimpanzee.
- To ape is defined as to copy from someone or replicate their words, actions, behaviors or work.
An example of the word ape is when singer Britney Spears accused Christina Aguilera of imitating her musical style.
- To go ape is defined as to be extremely excited about something either in a positive or violent way.
An example of someone going ape is a person at a concert for performer that she adores.
ape definition by Webster's New World
- any gibbon or great ape
- loosely any Old or New World monkey
- a person who imitates; mimic
- a person who is uncouth, gross, clumsy, etc.
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English apa; akin to German affe ; from Germanic an unverified form apan, probably ; from Old Church Slavonic opica
ape definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Any of various large, tailless Old World primates of the family Pongidae, including the chimpanzee, gorilla, gibbon, and orangutan.b. A monkey.
- A mimic or imitator.
- Informal A clumsy or boorish person.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English apa.
- apˈer noun
ape - Phrases/Idioms