An example of an ape is a child who is copying another child's behaviors.
An example of the word ape is when singer Britney Spears accused Christina Aguilera of imitating her musical style.
An example of someone going ape is a person at a concert for performer that she adores.
An example of an ape is a chimpanzee.
- To become wildly excited or angry:.Went ape at the party; went ape when she saw the parking ticket.
- To express unrestrained anger; rage.
- To become wildly enthusiastic.
Origin of ape
- Middle English from Old English apa
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Middle English ape, from Old English apa (“ape, monkey”), from Proto-Germanic *apô (“monkey, ape”), from Proto-Indo-European *abō- (“ape”). Cognate with Scots aip (“ape”), West Frisian aap (“ape”), Dutch aap (“monkey, ape”), Low German Ape (“ape”), German Affe (“monkey, ape”), Swedish apa (“ape”), Icelandic api (“ape”).