- The definition of pseudo is someone or something fake, false or pretend.
An example of pseudo used as an adjective is the phrase pseudo date, a girl taking her cousin to the prom to pose as her date.
- Pseudo is defined as similar to, or not real.
An example of pseudo used as a prefix is in the word "pseudonym" which means a false name, often one that is used by a writer to conceal his true identity.
Origin of pseudoME: see pseudo-
- fictitious, pretended, or sham: pseudoscience
- counterfeit or spurious
- closely or deceptively similar to (a specified thing): pseudomorph
- not corresponding to the reality; illusory: pseudopregnancy
- Chem. an isomer or related form of (a specified compound): pseudoionone
Origin of pseudo-Middle English ; from Late Latin ; from Classical Greek pseudo- ; from pseudēs, false ; from pseudein, to deceive
Origin of pseudoFrom pseudo–.
- False; deceptive; sham: pseudoscience.
- Apparently similar: pseudocoel.
Origin of pseudo-Greek, from pseudēs, false, from pseudein, to lie.
- An intellectually pretentious person; a pseudointellectual.
- A poseur; one who is fake.
- (travel industry, informal) pseudo-city code
- (Internet) A pseudonym; a false name used for online anonymity.
- pseud - variant
- does up, souped
From combining form of Ancient Greek ψευδής (pseudēs, “false, lying”).