- The definition of pseudo is someone or something fake, false or pretend.
An example of pseudo used as an adjective is the phrase pseudo date, a girl taking her cousin to the prom to pose as her date.
- Pseudo is defined as similar to, or not real.
An example of pseudo used as a prefix is in the word "pseudonym" which means a false name, often one that is used by a writer to conceal his true identity.
Origin: ME: see pseudo-
- fictitious, pretended, or sham: pseudoscience
- counterfeit or spurious
- closely or deceptively similar to (a specified thing): pseudomorph
- not corresponding to the reality; illusory: pseudopregnancy
- Chem. an isomer or related form of (a specified compound): pseudoionone
Origin: Middle English from Late Latin from Glassical Greek pseudo- from pseudēs, false from pseudein, to deceive
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Origin: From pseudo-.
- False; deceptive; sham: pseudoscience.
- Apparently similar: pseudocoel.
Origin: Greek, from pseudēs, false, from pseudein, to lie.
pseudo - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
pseudo - Medical Definition
- False; deceptive; sham: pseudohematuria.
- Apparently similar: pseudomyxoma.