- The definition of artificial refers to something that is simulated or made by humans, not by nature.
An example of the word artificial is flowers and plants which are made of plastic.
artificial definition by Webster's New World
- made by human work or art, not by nature; not natural
- made in imitation of or as a substitute for something natural; simulated: artificial teeth
- unnatural in an affected way: an artificial smile
- Biol. designating or of a system of classification based on only a few characteristics, as color
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin artificialis ; from artificium, artifice
artificial definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Made by humans; produced rather than natural.b. Brought about or caused by sociopolitical or other human-generated forces or influences: set up artificial barriers against women and minorities; an artificial economic boom.
- Made in imitation of something natural; simulated: artificial teeth.
- Not genuine or natural: an artificial smile.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin artificiālis, belonging to art, from artificium, craftsmanship; see artifice.
- arˌti·fiˌci·alˈi·ty noun
- arˌti·fiˈcial·ly adverb