- The definition of illegitimate is a person who was born to unmarried parents, or something that is incorrectly decided, or is not in accordance with the rules or laws.
- A baby who is born to a single mother who is not married is an example of a baby that would be described as illegitimate.
- A decision made by one member of a group without asking the group's opinion is an example of an illegitimate decision.
- A unilateral decision by a club member to change the club rules without following proper processes is an example of an illegitimate act.
illegitimate definition by Webster's New World
- born of parents not married to each other; bastard
- incorrectly deduced: not logical: an illegitimate conclusion
- contrary to law or rules; illegal; unlawful
- not in keeping with accepted usage: said of words or phrases
Origin: ; from Midieval Latin illegitimatus, past participle of illegitimare, to make illegitimate ; from Classical Latin illegitimus, not lawful: see in- and amp; legitimate
- illegitimately adverb
illegitimate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Against the law; illegal.
- Born out of wedlock.
- Grammar Not in correct usage.
- Incorrectly deduced; illogical.
- Biology Unacceptable as a scientific name because of contradiction to the international rules of nomenclature.
- ilˌle·gitˈi·mate·ly adverb
illegitimate - Legal Definition
- Of a child, that he or she was born to parents not married to one another.
- Wrongful or unlawful.