- A baby who is born to a single mother who is not married is an example of a baby that would be described as illegitimate.
- A decision made by one member of a group without asking the group's opinion is an example of an illegitimate decision.
- A unilateral decision by a club member to change the club rules without following proper processes is an example of an illegitimate act.
The definition of illegitimate is a person who was born to unmarried parents, or something that is incorrectly decided, or is not in accordance with the rules or laws.
- born of parents not married to each other
- incorrectly deduced: not logical: an illegitimate conclusion
- contrary to law or rules; illegal; unlawful
- not in keeping with accepted usage: said of words or phrases
Origin of illegitimatefrom Medieval Latin illegitimatus, past participle of illegitimare, to make illegitimate from Classical Latin illegitimus, not lawful: see in- and legitimate
- a. Being against established or accepted rules and standards: an illegitimate means of winning a debate.b. Being against the law; illegal: an illegitimate contract.c. Not valid or defensible: Their reasons for missing school are illegitimate.d. Incorrectly deduced; illogical: an illegitimate conclusion.e. Biology Unacceptable as a scientific name because of not conforming to the international rules of nomenclature.
- Offensive Born to parents not married to each other.
(comparative more illegitimate, superlative most illegitimate)
- Illegal; against the law.
- Born to unmarried parents.
- an illegitimate child
- Illogical; incorrectly deduced.
- an illegitimate inference
- Not authorized by good usage; not genuine; spurious.
- an illegitimate word
- (botany) Involving the fertilization of pistils by stamens not of their own length, in heterogonously dimorphic and trimorphic flowers.
- illegitimate union; illegitimate fertilization
illegitimate - Legal Definition
- Of a child, that he or she was born to parents not married to one another.
- Wrongful or unlawful.