- The definition of illegal is a person not permitted to be in a country or an act that is against the law.
- An example of illegal as an adjective is the phrase an illegal person, who is someone who is still in the United States after their tourist visa has run out.
- An example of illegal as an adjective is the phrase an illegal act, which is an act such as armed robbery.
illegal definition by Webster's New World
prohibited by law; against the law; unlawful; illicit; also, not authorized or sanctioned, as by rules
Origin: ; from French illégal or Midieval Latin illegalis: see in- and amp; legal
an alien who has entered a country illegally
illegal definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Prohibited by law.
- Prohibited by official rules: an illegal pass in football.
- Unacceptable to or not performable by a computer: an illegal operation.
An illegal immigrant.
- il·leˈgal·ly adverb