- The definition of lawful is something that is legal or that is permitted or accepted by governing principles and rules of law.
- Driving within the speed limit and obeying the rules of the road is an example of lawful behavior.
- A child born within the confines of a legal marriage is an example of a lawful child.
lawful definition by Webster's New World
- in conformity with the principles of the law; permitted by law: a lawful act
- recognized by or established by law: lawful debts
- obeying the law; law-abiding
lawful definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Being within the law; allowed by law: lawful methods of dissent.
- Established, sanctioned, or recognized by the law: the lawful heir.
- Obeying the law; law-abiding.
- lawˈful·ly adverb
- lawˈful·ness noun
lawful - Legal Definition
Permissible; not contravening a law.