- The definition of lawful is something that is legal or that is permitted or accepted by governing principles and rules of law.
- Driving within the speed limit and obeying the rules of the road is an example of lawful behavior.
- A child born within the confines of a legal marriage is an example of a lawful child.
- in conformity with the principles of the law; permitted by law: a lawful act
- recognized by or established by law: lawful debts
- obeying the law; law-abiding
- Being within the law; allowed by law: lawful methods of dissent.
- Established, sanctioned, or recognized by the law: the lawful heir.
- Obeying the law; law-abiding.
(comparative more lawful, superlative most lawful)
- Conforming to, or recognised by law or rules.
lawful - Legal Definition
Permissible; not contravening a law.