- The definition of improper is something that does not conform to accepted behaviors or customs, or something that is incorrect.
Laughing at a funeral and insulting the deceased is an example of behavior that would be considered improper.
- not suitable for or consistent with the purpose or circumstances; poorly adapted; unfit
- not in accordance with the truth, fact, or rule; wrong; incorrect
- contrary to good taste or decency; indecorous
- not normal or regular
Origin of improperOld French impropre ; from Classical Latin improprius: see in- and amp; proper
- Not suited to circumstances or needs; unsuitable: improper shoes for a hike; improper medical treatment.
- Not in keeping with conventional mores; indecorous: improper behavior; an improper suggestion. See Synonyms at unseemly.
- Not consistent with established truth, fact, or rule; incorrect: improper grammar; an improper conclusion.
- Irregular or abnormal: complications due to improper functioning of the immune system.
(comparative more improper, superlative most improper)
(third-person singular simple present impropers, present participle impropering, simple past and past participle impropered)