- The definition of improper is something that does not conform to accepted behaviors or customs, or something that is incorrect.
Laughing at a funeral and insulting the deceased is an example of behavior that would be considered improper.
- not suitable for or consistent with the purpose or circumstances; poorly adapted; unfit
- not in accordance with the truth, fact, or rule; wrong; incorrect
- contrary to good taste or decency; indecorous
- not normal or regular
Origin: OFr impropre from Classical Latin improprius: see in- and amp; proper
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Not suited to circumstances or needs; unsuitable: improper shoes for a hike; improper medical treatment.
- Not in keeping with conventional mores; indecorous: improper behavior.
- Not consistent with established truth, fact, or rule; incorrect.
- Irregular or abnormal.
- im·propˈer·ly adverb
- im·propˈer·ness noun