- The definition of naughty is someone or something badly behaved, wicked or not in keeping with moral and social standards.
- A child who behaves badly is an example of a child who would be described as naughty.
- Immoral thoughts related to sex are an example of thoughts that would be described as naughty thoughts.
A pair of naughty little children.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective naugh·ti·er, naugh·ti·est
- Behaving disobediently or mischievously: a naughty child.
- Indecent; improper: a naughty wink.
- Archaic Wicked; immoral.
Origin: Middle English noughti, wicked, from nought, nothing, evil, from Old English nāwiht, nothing; see naught.
- naughˈti·ly adverb
- naughˈti·ness noun