The definition of untoward is inappropriate, unexpected or unwanted.adjective
Unwelcome flirtations are an example of untoward flirtations.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- inappropriate, improper, unseemly, etc.: an untoward remark
- not favorable or fortunate; adverse, inauspicious, etc.: untoward circumstances
- Archaic stubborn or unruly
- Obsolete awkward; clumsy
Origin: un- + toward
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Not favorable; unpropitious.
- Troublesome; adverse: an untoward incident.
- Hard to guide or control; unruly.
- Improper; unseemly.
- Archaic Awkward.
- un·to·wardˈly adverb
- un·to·wardˈness noun